Monday, December 23, 2013

Book Review: Justice League 3000 #1



Book: Justice League 3000 #1 by Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis with artwork by Howard Porter

Rating: 2 stars

Review:

This first issue was just okay, it felt more like a filler instead of a first issue. There was nothing spectacular about this story, that's for sure. I thought the writing was kind of blah, there was nothing that captured my attention. I also thought the artwork was horrible. It didn't really feel like there was much of a story. This is set in the 31st century and opened with a character Ariel Masters trying to escape from Cadmus goons to avoid having to go back. After that the reader is introduced to the twins Terry and Teri followed by seeing the Justice League.

When I heard that DC Comics was going to create Justice League 3000, I was really interested.  Because the first thing I saw (from all the promotions) was the red hair on The Flash and I guess I got my hopes up that Wally West was finally going to be in the new 52 even if it's in the future and maybe that Wonder Woman was Donna Troy. But it turns out all of the characters are the original: Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Diana, Barry Allen and Hal Jordan only they have been altered due to an experiment.

The experiment is a project managed by twins Terry and Teri or as they call themselves "The Wonder Twins". The new Justice League is plagued with problems, none of them get along and are constantly fighting. They might have the same names as the original characters but they are very different characters, which would be really interesting if we got to see more than just them being angry and fighting each other. I really hope that's not going to be a constant thing because that's going to get really boring really fast. I'm so tired of seeing superheroes fighting, I think writers need to find new ideas instead of going to what has become a regular thing of superheroes fighting each other. I expect there to be conflict since they are just getting to know each other but I do hope it doesn't last too long.

Even though the first issue wasn't that great, I'm going to pick up the second issue to see if the writing and artwork improve.

No comments: