Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Book Review: Superman: Lois Lane #1 - One Shot (New 52)

Superman Lois Lane #1

Book: Superman: Lois Lane #1 - One Shot by Marguerite Bennett with Illustrations by Emanuela Lupacchino, Meghan Hetrick, Ig Guara and Didgenes Neves and Color by Hi-Fi

Rating: 2 stars

Review:

It really pains me to say this, but I didn't like this story. And as a huge Lois Lane fan, it's hurts even more to say it. I really have to learn to keep my expectations low when it comes to the New 52. This had been one of my most anticipated books and I couldn't wait to read it but the story didn't work.

The story follows Lois Lane as she investigate her sister Lucy's roommate (/girlfriend, I wasn't quite sure, the implication was there but it wasn't stated) Amanda who was abducted from their apartment by masked men after Lucy some how got away to escape to Lois' place. After some further investigation it turns out Amanda's abduction is linked to a mysterious drug that has horrific side-effects and a shadowy organization.

The story started out okay with Lois starting her investigation but somewhere along the way the story turned into a dreary, boring and absolutely forgettable story and it failed to show why Lois Lane is such an amazing character. I can't believe that Lois in this story had zero personality. Lois and Lucy's characterizations seemed off. This doesn't seem like the Lucy that was shown in earlier issues of the Superman series. This Lucy was portrayed as needy and childish instead of the smart capable woman that was shown previously.

The two positives I can say about this book are: 1) it showed Lois' dedication to investigating but with such a lackluster story it's just one shinning moment. 2) Seeing Jimmy Olsen, the scene with Lois and Jimmy in the park was probably one of the better ones in the story even though it was only two pages.

I found the focus on her family didn't add anything at all to the story. In fact it dragged it down. I got tired of the book flashing back from the past to the present in regards to her family. This wouldn't be a problem if the story had been interesting and well written.

Lois deserved a better story than this boring attempt at a monster adventure story. The writing for this was not strong. The issue with drug abuse was drowned out with all the focus on mutants and monsters. I was hoping with this one shot story that Lois was going to finally get her own series but this was not good. And I would not like to see Lois featured in such an awful series if it followed the direction of this one shot.

Again, I have to use my favorite word (for the New 52) to describe this as being generic. That's exactly what this story was. It was extremely generic and the artwork changed a bit (which is expected when a book has four artists) but it wasn't bad. This didn't feel like a well thought out story it felt more like DC Comics just threw the Lois Lane fans a bone so that we would stop complaining about her poor treatment in the New 52.

I wish this story had been better because this was not worth the $4.99 price tag.

I have a question, why was that Wonder Woman vs the Kryptonians Channel 52 Breaking News included in this book especially since it spoke of the fauxmance?  Even though this book is supposed to focus on Lois Lane, DC Comics just had to keep reminding readers about the Superman and Wonder Woman fauxmance, which was just weird.

Lois Lane should have her own series and maybe one of these days DC will stop trying to sideline her and give her the well written amazing series this iconic character deserves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Review

That's how I felt. My friends thought I was crazy because I didn't like this.

Book Girl said...

Thank so very much for your comment.

I'm trying to make sure I check for comments (more often).

I really did not find this Lois Lane one-shot to be that good especially since it has received so many good reviews.