Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Book Review: World War Z



Book: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

Source: Library

Rating: 1 star (Did Not Finish)

Review:

The movie was much better than the book. I can't believe all the hype that surrounded this. I am so happy I checked this out from the library because this slow moving dull book didn't really cut it for me. I could not continue reading this.

The story is told as a collection of interviews with people who have survived the Zombie War. There were a few of the interviews I found interesting but overall the rest were really boring. I don't know why it seems like all the characters had the same voice. Also, I found the characters rather uninteresting and plus there was no way you get a connection or understand who these characters are due to the interview format.

I thought the premise seemed really interesting with the world finding out the realization that zombies are real and then having to figure out a way to fight them. However, what was presented was a weird and rather disjointed group of interviews that didn't really capture the feel of terror and fright that would have engulfed the world.

The story did start out pretty good with an interview with a doctor who was describing a patient who may have started the zombie plague in China. It actually read like a horror story but after that the interviews started to become really boring.

I can't believe this has been called "the best zombie book ever", instead it should be called "the most boring zombie book ever".

No comments: