Monday, August 25, 2014

Book Review: Outshine


Book: Outshine by Nola Decker

Source: Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review

Publication: Available now

Description:

When agoraphobic Gabe and his outgoing nemesis Jessa go on a moonlit road trip to locate Gabe’s missing brother, the two teens discover they are both hiding unnatural abilities: Gabe is a living lie detector and Jessa is a kick-ass powerhouse pretending to be a delicate diva.

Gabe’s sole reason for searching for Watts, his overbearing younger brother, is to clear his own name: he’s been framed for Watts’ alleged murder. Jessa is after Watts because she is, well, after him.

They find him with Deacon, the twisted eugenicist responsible for their unusual powers. Deacon built them and other “Upgrades” to aid his efforts to protect the planet from environmental ruin. Though the goal may be noble, Deacon’s means to that end is full-on evil. Jessa and Gabe band together to stop him, but Watts may have other plans . . .




Rating: 1 star (Did Not Finish)

Review:

It's been a while since I've not finished reading a book. Who knows maybe this is a good book but I can't seem to connect with it. I find it to be mind numbingly boring and I don't like either main character Gabe or Jessa. And the story really doesn't make any sense. Also, the narrative switches back and forth from either Gabe or Jessa, which I didn't have a problem with. I just didn't like the story.

What I can gather from the story, is that Gabriel 'Gabe' Hearst is a human lie detector and whenever someone lies it gives him a horrible headache and Jessa Beech is a "super" girl who everyone thinks is this normal girl. Both have powers and are unsure why they have them.

The story opens with Gabe finding out that his younger brother Watts has gone missing. Jessa is nearly abducted but fought the guys off. It seems the guys who were going after Jessa may have something to do with Watts disappearance.

I'm sure there is more going on with this story but I really don't care and I have no desire to force myself to continue reading to find out.

I really thought this was going to be a good book but it looks like I was wrong.

No comments: