Sunday, May 22, 2016

Challenge: To Not Buy Non-Essential Items for Six Months


Today, Sunday, May 22, 2016 officially starts my six months of not buying anything that's not essential. I'm not a minimalist, not by a longshot. Plain and simple, I like stuff. But lately I've been buying a few too many items and thought it best to cut back.

A few days ago whenever I told my family and friends I was going to do this, they actually laughed at me. And I mean they really laughed out loud. I guess I can understand their reaction, I hate to admit it but I am a shopper. And I mean a BIG shopper but I don't want to be that anymore. I've tried challenges before and the sad thing is, I have never been able to complete any of my no book buying challenges in the past. But after yesterday's purchases which also included buying four Funkos, I decided I needed to change. I don't want to be a bookaholic/shopaholic instead I want to get a better handle on my finances like I used to.

Which is why I challenged myself to this six month challenge with it ending on November 22nd. I did research and found out some ways to go about doing challenges similar to this one. An important thing to do is to make up a list of exceptions and rules to follow to ensure the challenge will be a success.

Here are a few of the rules I plan to follow:

- No more Funkos with the exception of a Lois Lane figure if one is created and released sometime during the six months challenge.

- No books or magazines with the exception of my weekly comics.

- No new clothes unless something is in dire need of replacing.


At the least this will be interesting endeavor. This is a challenge that I really want to complete, I need to prove to myself that I can actually do it. So with that said, I hereby start my challenge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like me. I'm a waitress so you know my money is unpredictable but I love reading and buying books is my weakness. But even doing my favorite thing (buying books) had to take a backseat to saving money. After a few months of cutting back I was able to start buying books again but now I only do it every now and then.

Good luck with your challenge it will be tough at first but stick with it.

Book Girl said...

Thank you for leaving a comment and for the good luck.