Friday, January 25, 2013

Why is Wonder Woman So Dumbed Down in the New 52 Justice League?


Illustration: New 52 Justice League issue #15

by Book Girl

It's sad how Wonder Woman has been treated in the new 52 Justice League. Her only purpose seems to be filling the female quota and being Superman's girlfriend. From the first issue to issue 15 (I haven't read #16 yet), someone always seem to be teaching Diana how to do something. Why does Wonder Woman need so much guidance? Did she really need Clark to tell her about humanity (seeing as though he doesn't seem to understand or care about it himself) as well as teach her how to have a secret identity (really, that's so pathetic).

That brings to mind, when I was at the comic book store a few days ago. There was a girl and a guy, who both looked liked high school students looking over the comics. The girl was holding up an issue of the new 52 JL in one hand and had few pre-52 issues of Wonder Woman in the other. I was going through my checklist making sure I had all my comics when I heard the girl say "WW is such a stupid ass in JL" and put the comic back on the shelf. She was really annoyed and upset over how Wonder Woman is portrayed. I completely agree with her comment.

Wondie's crap portrayal is another reason Justice League is teetering on my pull list. I have really been thinking about just dropping it. Diana's intelligence doesn't seem to be showing through and she lacks any real personality. She appears to be suffering from lazy writing and poor character development unless that's how they see women over at DC Comics. Is she Penny from the Big Bang Theory or Wonder Woman? Actually, that's an insult to Penny, at least she has a personality, is smart in her own way and does more than just fill the female quota. 

This Diana might be powerful but she lacks all the other attributes that made her special.

No comments: