Thursday, March 14, 2013

Book Review: Blue Beetle Vol. #2: Blue Diamond


Book: Blue Beetle Vol. #2: Blue Diamond

Rating: 5 stars (It was very good)

My Review:

I'm not sure what issues are in the trade volume but I read the single issues #7 - 16 (including #0). I have to say that I really loved reading this. It was a fun, action packed, fast paced and really interesting group of issues. The story lines were really good except for issue #0 it felt like a filler issue. #0 focused on the backstory for Jaime Reyes' scarab, there wasn't really anything spectacular about it.

Issues #7 - 12 had Jaime dealing with the new twists and turns his life has taken once he flew off to New York. He's had nothing but bad luck since he arrived. Not to mention he has one of those annoying TMZ type of websites out to get him and other metahumans. I'm quite tired of the public must fear the metahumans story line. That seems to be the main theme in the New 52, which is getting rather boring. I guess they don't think people should believe in superheroes anymore.

Rant over back to my review. While Jaime was in New York he went up against the Short-Timer, a misguided runaway who was unknowingly tricked into stealing for a mad scientist called Stop Watch. After stopping Short-Timer from stealing, he tracked him back to a shelter for runaways, where he came into contact with Stop Watch (who is the epitome of the quintessential mad scientist).

Jaime also deals with Green Lantern Kyle Rayner and a couple of other lanterns, an intergalactic bounty hunter, the government, Booster Gold and his re-transformed friend Paco (who had turned back into the Blood Beetle (from Vol. #1).

In issues #13 -16, Jaime was out in space all thanks to something that happened in Justice League International Annual #1. Well, since I haven't gotten around to reading that yet (update: I did read it, please click on the link to see the review). I just gleaned from various back scenes shown in issues #13 and #0 that he was transported into space by O.M.A.C. While Jamie was out in space he ended up having to deal with attacks from Reach controlled Blue Beetles and then meeting up with another Blue Beetle who had a plan to incapacitate the Reach, when all he wanted was to try to find a way back home. Jaime thought he had found a way back to Earth from some smuggler but instead found himself being attacked by the guy who previously worn Jaime's scarab and by two goons that work for Lady Stix (who is the equivalent of an alien version of the character Roulette).

The last issue ended on a cliffhanger which is supposed to be concluded in a new comic Threshold that will feature Blue Beetle. However, since I have no interest in reading it (update: I'm actually thinking of picking this up), issue #16 will just be the last for me regarding Blue Beetle.

I really don't understand why this series was canceled, especially with all the fans giving it pretty good reviews.

Anyway, thanks for reading my review. If you read Blue Beetle vol. #2, let me know what you thought about it.

No comments: