Thursday, May 29, 2014

Book Review: The Nightlife: London


Book: The Nightlife: London (The Nightlife book #4) by Travis Luedke

Source: Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review

Publication: Available now

Description:

Vampires Aaron and Michelle prowl the dark, gritty, strip clubs and back alleys of London on the hunt for Michael Jamison, the man who stole Michelle's blood and left her for dead. To assist them, Aaron's new master, Urvashi, calls in favors from her friends, Russian mercenary werewolves.

Wolves Katya and Ivan, hunters adept at killing rogue vampires, set aside their animosity for Aaron and Michelle to stop Jamison from killing again – he already has one bloodless victim lying in the morgue.

Jamison, ex-special forces, feels his enemies closing in, but he won’t go down without a fight – and like Aaron and Michelle, he also has powerful friends.

Experience the violent, sensual underbelly of Nightlife London, as Aaron and Michelle mix up a wicked blend of sex, chaos, and mayhem.



Rating: 1 star

Review:

Well, this wasn't exactly what I thought it would be. I thought the story was going to be a fast paced action packed adventure where these two vampires (Aaron and Michelle) attempt to track down the guy who had drained Michelle of her blood.

Instead there was more sex than story (which is one of my pet peeves). It also had them teaming up with werewolves which I'm really not sure why. I don't understand why two vampires need to work with two werewolves to stop one vampire.

There was just something about the writing that I just couldn't peg. At times it seemed like it was written as if it was a parody of the paranormal romance genre and other times it seemed like fan fiction. Overall, it was just poorly written.

I was so annoyed and disgusted with this book because there was a scene where one of the werewolves was injured and to heal her Aaron had sex with her while she was pretty much unconscious. So when did RAPING someone heal them. That is so gross and disgusting. And of course then she was in love with him afterwards. This book is just sick and wrong.

I was really surprised that there wasn't at least one character that I would like. The vampires, the werewolves, the fallen angel, they were all so annoying.

Another thing I didn't understand was the relationship between Aaron and Michelle. I never understand why these co-dependent relationships are so popular in fiction. Although both are vampires Michelle is afraid she will drive Aaron away if she complains about his connection with Urvashi (his new master who happens to be a fallen angel), so she does her best to turn herself into his dream girl meaning she's willing to do anything for him or to give him anything he wanted.

While, Aaron tells her he loves her but that won't stop him from having sex with any woman he might find attractive or to try to get information from. Basically his hormones rule him.

Even though the story wasn't to my liking, I did step out of my comfort zone with this book. At least that's something I achieved from reading this book. But I don't think I will ever read anything else by this author.


No comments: