Monday, July 7, 2014

Book Review for Library Read-a-thon book #8: Blackberry Pie Murder


Book: Blackberry Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen book #17) by Joanne Fluke

Source: Library

Rating: 1 star

Review:

I think this has to be one of the worst books in this series so far. Usually these Hannah Swensen mystery books have a good balance of food and mystery but this one focused too much on food, Hannah and her sisters planning their mother's second wedding and Hannah's cat Moishe's new joy of exercising. Usually these books are a fun read with Hannah trying to solve a mystery but this was really awful.

The mystery (if you can call it that) wasn't really much of one. The "mystery" had Hannah and her family and friends trying to find out any information they could on the guy she accidentally killed during a severe thunderstorm. There was also a second sort of mystery that had Hannah looking into the recent return of a family friend's long lost daughter, is she really who she says she is.

The last book may have been predictable but this one was even worse. It had a weak and nearly transparent plot that the reader could easily see where the story was going and what was going to happen. All the things that made this series charming, fun and interesting were missing from this book.

The lowest rating I have ever given a book from this series is 3 stars and that was with the last book. It's sad to say but I think after 17 books I have lost interest in this series. And it makes me wonder if the author has as well.

This story ended with a cliffhanger which means this long suffering boring story will continue into the next book. Which I highly doubt I will be reading and if I do, I will be checking it out from the library.

I really liked this series when I first started reading it but now it seems like it is quickly going downhill. There is no real changes or development with these characters they are the same as they were from the first book to this current one. And not to mention Hannah is still dating both Mike and Norman because she can't decide which one she likes the best. Why can't the author take a chance and let Hannah date one of them or find someone new for her to date because this love triangle has been going on for far too long.

Hannah used to be smart, level-headed and independent. Now she's turned into a boring and predictable prudish character. I don't know what happened but she's not interesting anymore.

I'm really glad I checked this out from the library because this was a huge disappointment.

No comments: