Saturday, March 7, 2015

"I Guess Women's Opinions Don't Count When Talking About Comics"



I was really annoyed by something that happened at the comic book store earlier today, a teen girl and her mother were in the store working on her school project which was about comic books. However, she only spoke with the male customers and the owner (who is a guy), she asked them each a bunch of different questions which included how long they had been interested in comics and which type of comics they read.

So there I was thinking she was going to ask me and the four other women in the store, oh no she didn't bother to ask us any questions because apparently only guys know anything about comics. It was just so obvious that our opinions didn't matter as she passed us by to ask the guys questions. I heard her tell the owner that she was new to comics and had just got started reading them. He instructed her to asked the customers to get their opinions which I guess she didn't think to include us females since she over looked us.

Perhaps she didn't realize that girls and women are experts on comic book as well. Stuff like this just make me mad because it keeps up the perpetuation that comic books are only for guys.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently my girlfriend started reading comic books. I thought that was great so I took her to the comic book store I go to and showed her around.

I loved going to that store because the guys and I talk about all types of stuff. The owners talked to her and showed her stuff.

But she got a different experience when she went back on her own. She said they ignored her and barely showed her where to find anything and if they did it was begrudgingly. She said there was another girl in the store who was treated the same way.

Safe to say, neither my girlfriend or I shop there anymore. I had been going there for years and had no idea it wasn't women friendly until I saw it through my girlfriends eyes.

-- Matt

Book Girl said...

Matt, thanks for commenting.

Sorry to hear that your girlfriend had a bad experience in a comic book store. Were you able to find another store to go to that's more women friendly?

The funny thing about the situation I described in the post, the store owner is very customer friendly he's kind and very talkative to everyone.

It's just that the girl didn't seem to value the opinions of other women in regards to comics. I guess to her only guys know anything about comics. I thought was really sad.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for getting back to you so late. We did end up finding another comic book store and it's women friendly.

-- Matt