Sunday, March 8, 2015

Are You Ready For The New Jem and the Holograms Comic Book?



So far I haven't said much about the upcoming Jem and the Holograms comic book which will be published by IDW Publishing and will be available some time this month. As for me, what I've heard about the comic hasn't sparked my interest and I find the acid punk 80's inspired artwork repulsive.




By now it seems like everyone has seen the newly updated Jem and the Holograms but recently the company has released new images of The Misfits (see above and below) and the update has been receiving a bit of backlash since they've changed Roxy, Stormer and Jetta from their original images as well as changed Roxy from playing the guitar to the drums while Jetta now plays the guitar instead of the saxophone. According interviews I read, the creative team initially planned to put Jetta on the drums but changed the idea since they didn't like the idea of the two Black characters both playing the drums.

According to the new creative team, writer Kelly Thompson and artist Ross Campbell they wanted to add more diversity to The Misfit and from their research they found out that show creator Christy Marx had originally planned on Jetta being Black (I'm not sure if she's still British in this). I guess for Roxy and Stormer (as well as Aja (Jem)) they decided to add size/shape diversity.

Additional changes have the creative team announcing that Stormer and Kimber are now lesbians. As well as their going to be exploring a relationship between the two characters.

I understand changes are going to happen with new projects, each creative team wants to put their own stamp on it. However what I don't understand is if The Misfits will feature Jetta then where is Raya (who's Hispanic) for Jem and the Holograms? Raya took over playing the drums for Shana who wanted to go back to playing her guitar. Raya and Jetta joined their respective groups around the same time. Has this comic some how reached their limit on diversity and figured she wasn't needed? According to interviews, the creative teams says Raya will show up...eventually and who knows how long that will be.

I wonder if Christy Marx will have or have anything to do with this series because so far (but I could be wrong) I haven't heard her name being mentioned about any involvement with this project. Perhaps she is but it's being kept quiet. She had already been cut from the making of the upcoming Jem and the Holograms movie, I just hope she hasn't been cut from this as well.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm usually a lurker but wanted to say something.

I grew up watching Jem and the Holograms but this comic doesn't seem like it's going to be good.

I'm also a gay woman and I'm starting to feel like my sexuality is the latest trend. Yes I think it's great that there is more gay representation but as a long time Jem fan I don't need Stormer or Kimber to be gay to feel connected it. I have always been a fan.

Book Girl said...

Anon, thank you for commenting.

I'm a huge Jem fan too and I was really excited when I heard that there was going to be a comic book. I guess I was expecting something a little similar to the 80s cartoon, which I think many of the people who are disappointed were expecting as well.

I guess this is Jem for a new generation. And from what I've read about it there's nothing that has me interesting in reading it.

Perhaps I was looking for more of a rock glam sort of comic instead of what this is going to be about.

Gagakitty said...

There they go changing women's sexuality again.

I agree with anon, this must be the new trend. Still don't see a lot of male characters sexuality being changed. So when is G.I. Joe going to come out the closet? I guess that will never happen but I bet they would change Lady Jaye's sexuality in a heartbeat.

Turning previously straight characters gay or bi-sexual is the new way of making a comic edgy now. This seems like a way to get attention for the comics instead of really trying to promote gay characters.