Tuesday, September 8, 2015

I think it's time for a 'Carrie Diaries' Rewatch


As if I don't have enough shows to watch, I had the bright idea to rewatch The Carrie Diaries since I just found the show on Netflix.

I know the show didn't go over well with some Sex and the City fans when it originally aired but I absolutely loved this show. It was fun and fabulous. I loved the writing, the characters, the fashion and following Carrie's journey as she discovers who she wants to be.

This may sound weird but I always saw this show as an alternate universe because when I thought of Sex and the City's Carrie Bradshaw (played by Sarah Jessica Parker) it wasn't living a bright shiny life in the suburbs. That never came to mind. SATC's Carrie had a bit of an edge to her and I got a sense that things weren't so easy for her as she was growing up which included her father leaving her and her mother. Everything she got in life was from her hard work and determination. As she stated in the sixth season episode "Catch-38", "I wanted to be a writer, I made myself a writer".

While The Carrie Diaries' Carrie (played by AnnaSophia Robb), despite the death of her mother, she seemed to have a bit of an easy life but you could tell she wanted more than the typical suburban 80s lifestyle. She wanted the excitement of Manhattan and was finding joy in writing. She was experiencing more than she ever could have imagined through meeting the fabulous Larissa Loughlin (played by Freema Agyeman) and working for Interview magazine all while she balanced her life at high school and at home with her father and younger sister.

Maybe being a comic book fan helped with enjoying this show because with comics there are several version of one character out there. Superman is never the same character that you read in Action Comics that you see on Smallville. It's just something you're used to. Perhaps it was hard for some fans to see a different version of Carrie Bradshaw and Samantha Jones (played by Lindsey Gort) but I'm glad I gave this show a chance because it ended up being better than expected.

So on that note, I'm going to carve out a little time this week and sit back and rewatch The Carrie Diaries. I enjoyed it for what it was, which was a great show.




No comments: