Friday, November 27, 2015

TV Round Up: Gotham s2 ep #6


Episode #6: By Fire (watched On Demand)

Rating: 4 stars

I must be hitting rock bottom with superhero/comic book TV shows if I'm going back to watching Gotham. But sometimes rock bottom isn't so bad because for some reason today I decided to watch Gotham but the only episodes available On Demand were 6-10.

It surprised me that I ended up liking this episode, it's still pretty bad at times but no where near as bad as the first season. What I saw was a huge improvement in quality and it was exciting and totally wacky. What I love is that they brought the crazy back to Gotham. This city is supposed to be filled with chaos and madness.

This episode had Selina Kyle helping out Bridget Pike a.k.a. the new Firefly. Bridget has lived a life of abuse from her brothers and finally free she was taking her life back. From clips of the previous episode, she had been forced to burn down Wayne Enterprise buildings and in the process of being apprehended by the police she mistakenly killed one of the officers. This lead to James Gordon trying to find her but with no leads it wasn't until after Selina and Bridget were caught on video after a heist that Gordon tracked down Selina. Selina reluctantly gave Gordon the information but she did not want anything to happen to Bridget which Gordon gave his word to that.

Also in the episode, Penguin was trying to find his mother and sent one of his minions Butch Gilzean to infiltrate Theo Galavan's stronghold. Edward Nygma accidentally killed Kristen Kringle after she learned the truth about what happened to Officer Dougherty. The whole thing with Edward and Kristen feels like they stole a page from the Mad Hatter's playbook instead of the Riddler's. The Hatter is usually the one obsessed with a woman and willing to kill or do anything to get her to love him. Also, Bruce was meeting with Galavan to discuss the possibility of working together to deal with the problems within Wayne Enterprise.

I had no idea I would find this episode so much fun to watch, I have to say that it's sad that watching an episode of Gotham was actually better than watching an episode of Supergirl, I never thought that would even be possible. A character I found wickedly fun was Tabitha Galavan (played by Jessica Lucas), she had me wishing she had been cast to play Catwoman. I'm sure at some point she will either become a mentor to Selina or at least inspire Selina to forgo her shotgun and take up using the whip.

Even though I missed the first five episodes (and nearly all of last season), this show is easy to follow along. An issue I have with this show in general is with young Bruce Wayne. He continues to be a low point to this show. Both the character and the actor don't fit into this show, perhaps it time for Bruce and Alfred to go overseas to start him on his path to becoming Batman.

Maybe the episodes I missed will be re-aired during the break but until then I'm just going to get caught up with the remainder of this season.

No comments: