Thursday, April 7, 2016

Art of the Day: Arrow's Black Canary (Plus my Opinion on Last Night's Episode)


Artwork: Black Canary by JGiampietro

I guess you could say I'm not a happy fan right now, I'm still upset about last night's episode of Arrow. Why in the world did they kill off Black Canary? I can't believe that the creative team actually thought that was a good idea. But as I really think about it, I always thought the writers and the rest of the creative team of Arrow never truly wanted Black Canary/Dinah Laurel Lance on the show. However, they knew that the character although a hero in her own right was also connected to Green Arrow/Oliver Queen so they reluctantly brought her in.

Look at how poorly and inconsistently written she was on the show until they had no choice but to improve on the writing for her yet it was still always at her expense. However, I will say that Katie Cassidy did an amazing job with what she was given to work with. She brought so much to the character and I've been a Laurel Lance fan since the first episode. Katie lost weight for the second season to show Laurel going through her addiction, then she later trained to transform into becoming Black Canary. That's some dedication to the role.

I feel like Laurel had been through so much and overcame it to become a hero in her day job as a lawyer and at night as Black Canary. It sucks that we had to wait two seasons for her to finally become the Black Canary (in the 3rd season) then they kill her off in the 4th season. I will no longer be watching Arrow because it has continue to go downhill and this was the last straw for me. It's disappointing because the show started out really good then the third season turned into the Oliver and Felicity show and continued from there. Speaking of Felicity, there is already a rumor going around that she may become the new Black Canary. If that turns out to be true then that's simply disgusting.

I will say one last thing, Katie Cassidy tweeted a really nice message out to fans "An incredible ride, a beautiful journey, Laurel will always be in my heart. Thank you!" That was very sweet, she did an amazing job with this character.

Lastly, there is some good news for Black Canary fans, she will be featured in the upcoming Rebirth Batgirl & The Birds of Prey and the Green Arrow comic book series. Which makes it very easy to add those two books to my list.

No comments: