Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Two Simple Ways to Find Time to Read


"I don't have time to read", that is the number #1 excuse I hear from my non-bookaholic friends. Just yesterday while I was out shopping with a friend, that was one of the reasons that she gave as to why she has not read a book in a while. I find it interesting because as we wandered through the aisles, she kept reading me news and other stuff she found online. I pointed out that if she can spare a few minutes to look online why not do the same to read a book?

I subscribe to the notion that you don't need to carve out large blocks of time to read. Taking a few minutes to read is still beneficial. On some very busy days, five to ten minutes is the most I can find to read. While on other days, I have plenty of time to read for hours which is truly a luxury.

Nothing really beats having more time, but I've come to realize that whether it's two minutes or two hours I still can get caught up in the story. Being short on time doesn't diminish the reading experience, well at least to me.

If you want to read but don't have time for it, here are two very simple tips that might help:

1) Find and read books that interest you. I have said this many times but it's so true, you're more likely to continue reading something if you like it.

2) Try reading at least five pages a day. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but it's a great way to get started. And before you know it, you will be reading even more pages.

Still a little hesitant to find time to read, I find that by doing these two simple things you will be able to. Believe it or not, while in college this bookaholic didn't have a lot of time for personal reading. Between classes, studying, working, being an active member of my sorority, etc, I just didn't have the time. These were the two tips that worked for me during that time.

Please let me know if these tips work for you.

No comments: