Sunday, May 15, 2016

Will The Comic Book Industry's Problems Change How I Review Books?

With so many disappointing and disturbing events that have been happening within the comic book industry, from sexual harassment at DC Comics to a domestic abuser returning to a popular comic series at Image Comics, it's making me question how I should run this blog.

I consider myself a professional writer and reviewer, any book I read is with an open mind. I give my honest review and I also never let receiving an advance reader copy influence my reviews. But is it possible to keep an open mind with all the behind the scenes stuff going on. Should that be a factor in how I pick books to read. By continuing to buy the books I am rewarding bad behavior with my hard earned dollars.

I generally read books that interest me but the behind the scenes stuff has begun to overshadow the books. Can I truly sweep that aside and read the book without letting anything else seep into my consciousness?

As a professional reviewer, do I continue to remove my personal feelings to read and review books? Do I stand with the growing protestors and drop the books/companies? Or do I read and review the books but also speak out more about the problems in the industry? These three questions have been circling through my mind all day.

I'm not sure what to do but ultimately I know I will have to make a decision.

No comments: