Thursday, August 25, 2016

Throwback Thursday: The Catwoman Movie



Whether you Love it or Hate it, I consider Catwoman to be a ground breaking film. Even with the release of this movie back in 2004, there were (and still are) very few female lead superhero/comic book movies.

I don't understand Hollywood's reluctance to make more. I know Warner Bros. will be releasing Wonder Woman next year and Marvel is working on a Captain Marvel movie but aside from that I have not heard of any more movies in the works. There are talks of making a Black Widow movie but nothing has truly been confirmed or placed into production (i.e. no writer, director, etc.).

Catwoman may not have been perfect but at it's core the movie showed a woman who was taking control of her life. She was no longer going to sit on the sidelines observing life but live it to its fullest. Comic books are all about that transformation from when the character changes and becomes the person they always knew they were or wanted to be.

I have seen many critics cite as a negative that this wasn't connected to the Batman Universe but I think that's why I like it. Because according to the movie, there have been numerous Catwomen throughout time and Patience Phillips was simply carrying on that tradition. This movie was not about the Selina Kyle Catwoman but one of the many that have embraced their true selves and transformed into the Catwoman.

Perhaps many were looking for that Batman connection but I enjoyed it for what it was, a woman becoming her true self and stopping a few criminals along the way.

No comments: