Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Comic Book News #13: A New Vampirella Series, Comixology Publishing Comic Books and More


I'm happy to post new Comic Book News for everyone, here are some books to look out for:



- Dynamite Entertainment will be publishing a new Vampirella series in 2017. It will be written by Paul Cornell with illustrations by Jimmy Broxton.

According to reports, Cornell said “I’m delighted to be writing a Vampirella that takes onboard everything she’s been and moves it forward into a new setting, where the gothic meets science fiction. I’m also delighted to be working again with my old friends, the incredibly talented artist Jimmy Broxton, and the incredibly talented editor, Matt Idelson."

I’m hoping especially to find a female audience,” said Cornell. “The character’s often been regarded as a nostalgia item, cheesecake, and we’re building on previous efforts to keep moving away from that to something more interesting. I’m excited to be building a whole new world, I’m loving what Jimmy’s art is doing (Barbarella! Hepburn!), and I hope that excitement communicates itself to the reader.”

I'm not sure how I feel about this new take on Vampirella because I never regarded the character in a bad way. I always thought she needed a new costume which she recently got but I really don't want to see the character turned in a clone of Audrey Hepburn, Barberella (who is also getting a new comic book series in 2017) or some sort of fashionista. She's a butt kicking vampire and I hope that doesn't change.





- Digital comic provider Comixology will be publishing their own comic books. The comics will be co-published with companies such as Boom! Studios and Valiant and the first three digital books to published are Adventure Time Marshall Lee Spectacular (One Shot), Valiant High and Marley's Ghost. Valiant High will be a four issue miniseries follows the characters as high school students and Marley's Ghost is going to be a modern take on Harvey Kurtzman’s unfinished graphic novel of Marley's scenes from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

Since Amazon.com purchased Comixology in 2014 you can also pre-order (or buy when the comics are available) from the retailer.

I've said this before, I don't really like to buy digital comics (unless there is no other option available). However,  I am interested in reading all three of these books and I already added them to my wishlist.





- DC Comics is bringing back the comic book series WildStorm with an imprint series. Warren Ellis will write the main series but will edit or curate the other books associated with the series.

WildStorm will be published in February 2017 with a monthly comic to be titled The Wild Storm. The series will be written by Warren Ellis with art by Jon Davis-Hunt. The series will reboot the WildStorm universe while also introducing "newly" created WildStorm characters: Grifter, Voodoo, The Engineer, Jenny Sparks and more.

According to reports, The Wild Storm is set to launch several future series: Michael Cray, WildC.A.T.S. and Zealot. So far no creative teams have been announced yet for those books.





- This December Image Comics will be published a new series titled Rockstars, it will be written by Joe Harris with illustrations by Megan Hutchison. Although the series will take place in the present it will focus on the unsolved mystery surrounding the murder of groupies that occurred during the 1970s. The first issue will be in comic book stores on December 14th.


No comments: