Wednesday, May 27, 2020

On My List: May 27th

I'm going to start posting On My List more often because I love letting you know about some of the books, movies and TV shows that I'm interested in. Please feel free to leave any suggestions for anything you think I should read or watch.


Books I Want to Read:


Book: The Killing Moon (Dreamblood series book #1) by N. K. Jemisin

Description:

Assassin priests, mad kings, and the goddess of death collide in the first book of the Dreamblood Duology by NYT bestselling and three time Hugo-Award winning author N. K. Jemisin.

The city burned beneath the Dreaming Moon.

In the ancient city-state of Gujaareh, peace is the only law. Upon its rooftops and amongst the shadows of its cobbled streets wait the Gatherers - the keepers of this peace. Priests of the dream-goddess, their duty is to harvest the magic of the sleeping mind and use it to heal, soothe . . . and kill those judged corrupt.

But when a conspiracy blooms within Gujaareh's great temple, Ehiru - the most famous of the city's Gatherers - must question everything he knows. Someone, or something, is murdering dreamers in the goddess' name, stalking its prey both in Gujaareh's alleys and the realm of dreams. Ehiru must now protect the woman he was sent to kill - or watch the city be devoured by war and forbidden magic.

Why It's On My List: Lately, I have been looking for new and different stories which has led me to the fantasy genre. I want to read The Killing Moon because the description has me interested in exploring this fascinating world the author has created.






Book: Trail of Lighting (The Sixth World book #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse

Description:

While most of the world has drowned beneath the sudden rising waters of a climate apocalypse, Dinétah (formerly the Navajo reservation) has been reborn. The gods and heroes of legend walk the land, but so do monsters.

Maggie Hoskie is a Dinétah monster hunter, a supernaturally gifted killer. When a small town needs help finding a missing girl, Maggie is their last best hope. But what Maggie uncovers about the monster is much more terrifying than anything she could imagine.

Maggie reluctantly enlists the aid of Kai Arviso, an unconventional medicine man, and together they travel the rez, unraveling clues from ancient legends, trading favors with tricksters, and battling dark witchcraft in a patchwork world of deteriorating technology.

As Maggie discovers the truth behind the killings, she will have to confront her past if she wants to survive.

Welcome to the Sixth World.

Why It's On My List: As I mentioned before, I've been looking for some new and different stories to read and this is another book that I found, Trail of Lightning. It's another fantasy story and the description really makes it seem like it's going to be amazing read.




Movies I Want To Watch:

The Love Birds                                               Netflix


Description:

A couple, Leilani and Jibran (Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani) experiences a defining moment in the relationship when they are unintentionally embroiled in a murder mystery. As their journey to clear their names takes them from one extreme - and hilarious - circumstance to the next, they must figure out how they, and their relationship, can survive the night.

Why It's On My List: I love mysteries and The Lovebirds looks like it's going be a funny and dangerous adventure for Leilani and Jibran as they try to solve a murder to prove their innocence.





Leave Yesterday Behind


Description:

An accident paralyzed his legs...but not his will to live and love!

Paul Stallings (John Ritter), a happy-go-lucky veterinary student, is paralyzed from the waist down during a polo match. Feeling despondent, he decides to go to his grandfather's ranch and meets a young horse trainer, Marnie Clarkson (Carrie Fisher), who helps him overcome his handicap and learn how to live and love again.

Why It's On My List: I love finding and watching old movies and TV series and I recently found this movie, Leave Yesterday Behind. I was totally surprised because I had no idea Carrie Fisher and John Ritter had starred in TV movie together. This originally aired in the late 1970s and I love that these old movies are being released on DVD, it gives new movie fans a chance to watch them.




TV Shows I Want To Watch:

Rewatch:

Kim's Convenience seasons 1-4

Why It's On My List: I love this show and the lovable and flawed characters, it's so funny. The show follows the Kim family and some of their friends dealing with their lives as well as meddling in each others lives. I've been a big fan of this show since it first premiered back in 2016. Kim's Convenience has truly become one of favorite shows, I'm so glad it's already been renewed for the fifth and sixth seasons.




New (to me):

She-Ra and the Princess of Power seasons 1-5                                          Netflix

Why It's On My List: I had planned to watch this new She-Ra animated series when the first season originally premiered in 2018. I love the original 1980s She-Ra (it's a fun show) and wanted to see this new version but I never got around to watching it. With the show already completed (the fifth and finale season premiered last week), I figure it's a good time to finally watch it.

No comments: