Thursday, March 18, 2021

You Don't Need a Reading Nook to Read, Rory Gilmore Certainly Didn't!

I love having a reading nook in my bedroom but I don't think one necessarily has to have one. Something, I always found interesting was that Rory Gilmore from the Gilmore Girls TV series never had a reading nook. I was really surprised that she didn't carve out a special little reading area in her bedroom at her mother's home nor at any of the apartments and dorm rooms she lived in. She was usually shown reading on the sofa, her bed, park benches, cafes and just about anywhere. There wasn't a place that seemed special to her for reading. Unless you count the episode An Affair to Remember (season 4 episode 6) in which Rory had a tree that she really enjoyed studying at in the Yale University quad. However, it was being used by another student but she so desperately wanted that tree that she paid the guy I believe $20 so she could have her favorite studying tree back.


I guess, Rory really did enjoy reading anywhere and just needed one unique special place to study from (her favorite tree) because she felt no need to have a reading nook. She was notorious for carrying around books everywhere she went. As I mentioned before, I have a reading nook in my bedroom which is nothing more than a really comfortable chair and ottoman near my bed, however, it's currently being occupied by my Grogu (The Child) plush leaving me (since I don't feel like moving it) to mainly read on the sofa in the living room. As much as I think it's great to have a reading nook, I think Rory who is one of the biggest bookworms not having one is rather cool. One of the things I like about Rory is that she embodies the spirit that you don't need a special place or space to read because you can read wherever you are.

Pre-pandemic I used to love reading outside or at a cafe or just about anywhere when I had a spare moment and I've missed that. But due to the pandemic, I've enjoyed reading at home just as much. And although, I'm currently enduring a reader's block I still feel like you don't need a special place to read a book because you can read anywhere.

No comments: