Friday, April 30, 2021

Fandom Friday: Random Fandom Thoughts #4



It's Friday, what fandom or geek topics are on your mind? Well, here are a few of mine:

- Lately, I've been seen a lot of hatred towards 9-1-1 character Dr. Ana Flores. It seems so irrational because Dr. Flores, a former teacher now Vice-Principal, hasn't done anything to garner this much hate from fans. The main reason for a lot of the hate I've seen from some fans is that she's dating firefighter Edmundo "Eddie" Diaz. The problem is most of them want Eddie to date his best friend and fellow firefighter Evan "Buck "Buckley.

Well, hating Ana isn't going to make Eddie date Buck (if it ever happens) any faster. Ana was only in the last few seconds of Monday's episode Parenthood (s4 ep 10) and didn't even have lines only had one line and yet fans were saying how she ruined the episode. How? She was barely in it. And it's bad enough they hate the character which no one is obligated to like but they are also targeting the actress Gabrielle Walsh. I guess toxic fandom strikes again. It makes no sense because Gabrielle is simply doing her job playing a character. Hate the character, if you want to but don't bother the actress.

(Ana Flores   911 season 3 episode 15 Eddie Begins)


- Do you ever feel like shows never end now? There always seem to be a spinoff, reboot, revival, etc. being announced. I'm glad more original projects are continuing to be made but I guess nostalgia (along with money) is behind most of the continuation and reboot craze for so many shows. Almost everyday I see fans asking for a reboot or revival of an older show. Some reboots are important such as Kung Fu which is an amazing new show on The CW. I don't have a problem with reboots because one of my current favorite shows is the rebooted Charmed on The CW. I know continuations and reboots don't ruin or take anything away from the original show but it just feels like lazy ideas and storytelling to keep doing the same thing over and over.


- Yesterday, was International Dance Day! I can't believe I forgot to post something. Especially since I have a follow up to my post What Are Your Favorite Dance Movies?. I bought some new dance movies: Honey 1-4, Step Up 1-5, You Got Served 2: Beat the World (I already have the first one) and so many more. I'd love to have a few marathons for all the dance movies I have in my ever growing collection. I found movies on a few streaming services that I'd also like to see.

(Honey 4: Rise Up and Dance)

No comments: