Friday, November 12, 2021

DVD Pick: Superboy TV Series

I know it's Disney+ Day and there are a lot of new shows, movies and documentaries being announced but I was wondering what old shows are you watching or interested in watching? An old show that I plan to watch is Superboy which I had no idea even existed. You would think as a Superman fan I would have heard of this show. I didn't find out about it until I was doing a Superman related search and it led me to the Superboy TV series. The show ran for four seasons from 1988-1992 and underwent two changes: lead actor (John Haymes Newton in season 1 to Gerard Christopher for seasons 2-4) and show title (from Superboy to The Adventures of Superboy). The show which follows a young Clark Kent and Lana Lang who are attending college at Shuster University was executive produced by Ilya and Alexander Salkind, who Superman fans know produced the first three Superman movies along with the Supergirl movie.

I was so intrigued by all of this that I went searching to see if the show was available on DVD. Turns out, yes and no. The first season is out of print but seasons 2-4 are available pretty much anywhere DVDs are sold. As I continued my search, I found the first season being sold for $6.00 from a private seller on the Barnes and Noble's website. I bought that DVD and then bought the other three seasons from Amazon (they were slightly cheaper). I know I lucked out on buying the first season for $6.00 because unfortunately, I've seen it being sold for so much more online which I think is ridiculous. That's nothing more than price gouging.

Anyway, I can't wait to start watching this show. Whether this series is good or bad, it will be interesting to see how Clark balances being in college while being a hero.

No comments: