Saturday, March 19, 2022

Why is 9-1-1 Queerbaiting Viewers?

It appears one of the co-showrunners for 9-1-1, Kristen Reidel has pretty much admitted in a roundabout way in a TV Guide interview that the show has been queerbaiting the fan favorite characters Edmundo "Eddie" Diaz and Evan "Buck" Buckley. With her comment, "I'm not gonna tell people that they're watching the show wrong because people see what they see", Reidel makes it seem as if viewers and fans have somehow misinterpreted what has been written, acted and directed for the characters and their relationship. This makes me think that if so many viewers have interpreted something that you have written a different way than you intended then I think the problem might be how you as the writer have misinterpreted your own writing.

(9-1-1 season 5 episode 1: Panic)

I think that's really disappointing that the showrunner would rather say that viewers have misinterpreted scenes instead of admitting that they have been queerbaiting viewers. I feel like this is what the show has been doing ever since Eddie had been introduced to the series in the second season. Reidel said she see Buck and Eddie's relationship as "a great friendship" and them as "very good friends". Then if that's the case, stop writing them as if they are more than that.

I don't know why writers continue to queerbait in this day and age and then when called out on it, they turn around and make it seem as if it's the viewers fault for falling for the queerbait that they continue to include throughout the show. I have to admit, I totally fell for the queerbaiting on 9-1-1 (I thought I was too smart for that but I guess I wasn't). Because to me the writing shows a connection to Buck and Eddie that is indeed more than platonic. Unlike how they write all the other friendships between other characters on the show. As much as I like watching 9-1-1, it's very disheartening to see that yet another show continues to toy with fans and string them along knowing the showrunners and writers never had any plans or intentions of putting Buck and Eddie together. However, they don't want the show to lose viewers so they continue to put in scenes that knowingly come across in a way that show that they are more than just platonic.

I'm sure I'll watch Monday's midseason premiere but my enthusiasm has been dampened because it felt like the writers were building up a romantic connection to Buck and Eddie but I guess that will never happen. I feel like the writers need to stop writing them that way so that fans won't "misinterpret" their scenes. Yet they constantly put the characters in romantic tropes but it's the fans who have taken those scenes out of character. Because if the showrunners and writers know a relationship they have been writing is being perceived as romantic by a large percent of the audience then actively choosing not to do anything to change that perception that is except to further capitalize off it. Then I consider that to be a prime example of queerbaiting fans.

I have mentioned this before that if either Buck or Eddie were a woman, they would have already been written into a relationship. There is so much build up for these two to go from friends to lovers and it would be a missed opportunity not to attempt it. I guess you can add 9-1-1 to an increasingly long list of shows that choose to queerbait viewers. I can't help but notice that when there is a chance for a relationship between characters that are a man and woman, there would be no need for fans to hope and wonder if the characters will get together. It's more of thinking when they will get together. However, with same sex characters fans are left to wondering if it will ever happen which for the most part it rarely ever does.

You know the best thing about being a fan, I don't need a writer, showrunner or actor to tell me how I should see or feel about something. If I feel like Eddie and Buck are more than friends than that's how I will continue to see it. At least now we know the showrunners and writers are queerbaiting viewers. It's too bad because the show could have taken a chance to create a romantic relationship between Eddie and Buck that would have been really special.

(9-1-1 season 2 episode 18: This Life We Choose)

No comments: