Friday, August 18, 2023

Fandom Friday: Random Fandom Thoughts #36: Fairy Tales and First Kill



- I love fairy tales, there is just something so wonderful about them. I've seen and read so many different versions of the stories, from the lighthearted and romantic to the dark and twisted, I'm always looking for more. I'm still watching Grimm (I'm still on season 2) but I'm also thinking of rewatching Once Upon a Time. I think both shows are wonderful interpretations of the classic tales, with Grimm it's a fairy tale procedural with intrigue. While Once Upon a Time leans more into the lives of the iconic characters and their modern day counterparts along with mystery and drama.






- It's not a fairy tale, but I really enjoyed watching the Netflix TV series First Kill which was adapted from a short story by V. E. Schwab in the anthology book Vampires Never Get Old: Tales with Fresh Bite. First Kill is a supernatural take on Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare with monster hunters, vampires, etc.

As with the classic Shakespearean play, there's a romance that's centered around feuding families (monster hunters and vampires) that follows as Calliope "Cal" Burns, a monster hunter and Juliette Fairmont, a vampire fall in love. This was such an interesting show and I'm still disappointed that First Kill was cancelled after one season especially now that the series forever ends on a cliffhanger.

(Calliope and Juliette     First Kill season 1 episode 5: First Love)

No comments: