Saturday, May 25, 2024

Fandom Thoughts #1: Janine and Gregory and Buck and Tommy


I didn't get a chance to post my Friday Random Fandom Thoughts, so I'm posting them today for Fandom Thoughts. These are just a two thoughts I had about romance that have been on my mind:

- I felt like I had to take two to three business days to process my happiness that Janine Teagues and Gregory Eddie are finally getting a chance to be together in Abbott Elementary. That kiss in the season finale episode Party (season 3 episode 14) was so perfect. I love that they put the camera crew out and pulled down the shades. This moment was for them. I just love it so much. I'm so absolutely over the moon happy because I feel like us fans have been waiting forever and now it's finally happening.

I will have so much more to say about Janine and Gregory, I just need to finish processing it. I have been rooting for them and I'm just so happy it finally happened.

(Abbott Elementary season 3 episode 14: Party)



- And now for unhappy romance thoughts, I have been avoiding saying anything about 9-1-1's Evan "Buck" Buckely and his latest love interest Tommy Kinard. Well, other than to say he's another bland and boring love interest as well as Buck and him have zero chemistry. I can't get over the feeling that Tommy doesn't really even like or respect Buck. He always has something rude and condescending to say to Buck. Back in the episode Buck, Bothered and Bewildered (season 7 episode 4), the way Tommy had all these plans and was doing all these different things with Edmundo "Eddie" Diaz, it seemed like he was romantically interested in Eddie. However, since he couldn't get with Eddie, he settled for Buck.

At least with Buck's previous love interests: Abigail "Abby" Clark, Taylor Kelly, Ali Martin and Natalia Dollenmeyer, who despite their flaws, faults and levels of being a plot device you could at least tell they were interested in him. I can't say the same for Tommy who seems to tolerate Buck at best.

I also can't get over how he didn't tell Buck he had soot all over his face after they kissed and just let him walk back in to Howard "Chimney" Han's hospital room without saying one word in the episode There Goes The Groom (season 7 episode 6). I don't know why his supposed love interest would choose not to say anything and let him be embarrassed in front of his family and friends? And not to mention being rude and passive-aggressive during and after their first date which didn't go well in the episode You Don't Know Me (season 7 episode 5). Which unfortunately later in the episode had Buck apologizing, when Tommy should have been been the main one apologizing.

I know as a guest/recurring character Tommy is nothing more than a plot device moving Buck's story along. But I wish the writers would let Buck know just because he realized he was bisexual he doesn't have to settle for the first guy that showed any "interest" in him. Especially someone who is condescending and rude. Buck deserves a better love interest than that. I hope when this "relationship" ends, Buck will be the one who will get to end it.

(9-1-1 season 7 episode 5: You Don't Know Me)

No comments: