Saturday, August 22, 2026

Fandom Thoughts: My Thought on Power Rangers Turbo (So Far)


Happy Saturday!

I am now at the Power Rangers Turbo season of my Power Rangers Franchise Rewatch and you know what? When I was a kid I didn't like either the Turbo movie or season but after rewatching the movie and the first five episodes this morning, my opinion has sort of changed. The movie wasn't as bad as I remembered. I still think Tommy Oliver (Red Ranger) has feeling for Kimberly Hart (former Pink Ranger). His relationship with Katherine 'Kat' Hillard (Pink Ranger) always felt like settling. Tommy and Kat were okay, their chemistry never really felt romantic but more like friends, well at least to me.

Anyway, I still prefer the first movie but Turbo wasn't so bad. As for both the show and movie, I still think Justin Stewart (Blue Ranger) is the Power Rangers' version of "Cousin Oliver", it's just so weird to have a kid instead of a teenager being a Ranger. Although, yes, he's annoying but not so annoying that he gets on your nerves. So, far, he's okay. And with Tommy working at his uncle's garage throughout most of the first five episodes, it was interesting seeing the trio of Adam Park (Green Ranger), Tanya Sloan (Yellow Ranger) and Kat hanging out together. I like this trio. Now that they all graduated from high school and are starting on the next phase of their lives, it's cool that they have summer jobs. Tommy at the garage and race track, Tanya at the radio station, Adam being a stunt man at the Angel Grove Studio and Kat as a teacher's assistant. It was also nice seeing Rocky DeSantos (former Blue Ranger) before he no longer appeared. I never understood the hate that Rocky got, he was a fun character.

(From L to R: Tanya, Adam and Kat    Power Rangers Turbo season 5 episode 5: Transmission Impossible)

I do feel bad for Farkas 'Bulk' Bulkmeier and Eugene 'Skull' Skullovitch (who I guess also graduated from high school as well) because they were turned into chimpanzees. I don't remember what episode they get turned back but I'll find out at some point during this rewatch. At least the former Lt. Jerome Stone is taking care of them even if he doesn't know it's them. I forgot Ernie had sold his business, the Angel Grove Youth Center Gym and Juice Bar to Jerome. It's sad that Zordon and Alpha 5 left and their replacements Dimitria and Alpha 6 definitely have to grow on you. I found it interesting that Dimitria instead of telling the Rangers what to do, she ask them questions that makes them think and figure out the solution for themselves. Their young adults now and they need to be able to think for themselves, not that they didn't before. But they always had that safety net of Zordon providing them with the answers or telling them exactly what they need to do in order to save the day. Now they have to do that themselves.

Last but not least, I do remember that Tommy, Adam, Kat and Tonya were replaced as Rangers during this season but I don't remember what episode. I don't even remember those new Rangers so it'll be interesting to be re-introduced to those new characters. And to see if I remember liking them or not. I'm still looking forward to continuing this rewatch next week.

No comments: