Monday, September 14, 2026

My thoughts on Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue

Yesterday, I finished the last two episodes of Power Rangers Lost Galaxy (which was a very good ending to the season) and then watched the first four episodes of the next season Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue. And one thing for sure, Lightspeed Rescue was not one of my favorite seasons, I liked it even less than Turbo. At least after re-watching Turbo my feelings changed I rather enjoyed watching it this time around. However, I don't see that happening with Lightspeed Rescue. For one they are government selected Power Rangers and use man made created morphers, weapons and zords. Nothing man made would be able to stop those monsters. Also, the Rangers have no secret identities and they wear these ridiculous jackets when they leave headquarters to go out on missions. This season lost the spark that made Power Rangers interesting. They turned being a Ranger into being nothing more than a job. It's just way too militarized and governmental. At least with all the previous seasons, there was still this fun and mysterious element to the show. This just feels like characters working a job. They even wear id badges at headquarters. So, it truly feels like this is nothing more than a job.

Lightspeed Rescue just feels so overly structured with Captain Mitchell along with Ms. Fairweather, who is a scientist both telling the Rangers what to do and not to mention yelling at them. I didn't like how Ms. Fairweather yelled at Joel Rawlings (Green Ranger) through the communicator when he had an idea that was different from the one they wanted him to follow. As Rangers they need to be able to think for themselves. How else are they supposed to figure things out. And certainly not by being yelled at. Although, they picked them to be Rangers, they don't let them be independent from the organization. With the previous Rangers they got to think for themselves even if some had additional help from Zordon, Alpha, etc. These Lightspeed Rangers are nothing more than stooges that are being told what to do. And the way the characters are written feel like they should have been high school students because despite being adults they seem very immature.

Since this is just my initial reaction to rewatching the first four episodes, maybe my feelings might change after I finish this season. I'll try to keep an open mind but I just don't like this season.

No comments: