Thursday, July 4, 2013

Day 3 review for my Amy Adams 4-day-4-movie marathon: Trouble with the Curve

I didn't get a chance to write up my review last night. I was a little tired and didn't feel like going anywhere near my computer. So here's my day 3 review. I'll post my day 4 review sometime later today. The last movie I will be watching is "Enchanted".


Rating: 3 stars

I thought this was a good heartwarming movie. It focused on the strained relationship between a father and a daughter. Gus (Clint Eastwood) was a grumpy old stubborn baseball scout whose serious eye problems were starting to affect his job. Realizing that Gus was having problems his friend Pete (John Goodman) went to talk with Gus' daughter to see if she could help him out with an upcoming very important scouting. His daughter the equally stubborn high powered lawyer Mickey (Amy Adams) initially didn't plan on helping but something changed her mind. Despite being up for partnership at her firm, Mickey decides to go help her dad.

I like that we got to see who these characters were, they were far from perfect but you got a better understanding of them as the film progressed. Something that really surprised me was I didn't find Justin Timberlake's acting to be awful, I'm usually not a fan of his acting but I thought he did an okay job in this.

The Amy Adams in this movie is how I wish she was in Man of Steel, Mickey was smart, tough, tenacious and full of life. She was passionate about whatever she was doing and like Lois Lane she was very career focused. But no matter how hard she tried to hide it you could still see Mickey's heart and compassion. Also, Mickey had an amazing wardrobe and great hair.

Although I'm not changing my opinion of her performance in Man of Steel I no longer place all the blame on her. I think the writer and the director played a huge part in the way Lois Lane was shown. They didn't let Amy act. They didn't let her bring anything to the character and it showed big time.

Anyway, I thought Clint Eastwood did a good job of portraying the aging Gus. Gus' whole life was his job and Clint Eastwood showed how vulnerable and discontent Gus has slowly become. Believe it or not, this is the first movie I've ever seen of Clint Eastwood's.

Overall, I thought this was a good movie with quite a few funny moments and I wouldn't mind watching it a second time.

No comments: