Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Words/Topics That Will Make Me NOT Pick Up a Book

The Broke and the Bookish host the Top Ten Tuesday and the question for this week is: What are the top ten word/topics that would make you not pick up a book?

I'm not sure I can come up with ten reasons because I'll practically read anything if it interest me. So here's my list:



1. Over Hyped Books: I don't buy books because they're popular I only buy them if it's something I want to read. I might one day get around to reading the Twilight or The Hunger Games series but for now they don't seem to interest me.

2. Copycat Books: After something is proven as a success or becomes popular then numerous copycat books hit the shelves. Why can't they attempt a little originality?

3. Authors who are Horrible to Readers or Pushing Propaganda: I personally don't care what an author does unless they are being a jerk to fans or reviewers or pushing some sort of agenda (such as Orson Scott Card).

4. Nothing but Sex: Sorry but there has to be some sort of story going on other than just sex (Fifty Shades of Grey).

5. Animal or Child Cruelty: The whole book should not be about someone torturing animals or children with nothing happening to them in the end, especially if it's fictional.

6. Cheating/Adultery: There are some exceptions to the rule like Anna Karenina (which is a very well written book) but other than that, glorifying cheating isn't interesting to me.

And:

Poorly Written Books: Unfortunately the only way I can discover this, is by reading the book.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Totally agree with your list!! I haven't read The Hunger Games either... I liked the movie, but the thought of reading a book that is so over-hyped makes me not want to at all!! I can't stand graphic sex in books. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if characters in my book are doing it, I just don't want all the TMI... and just sex.sex.sex because the author thinks that what people want to read.... ICK!!!!

My TTT

Book Girl said...

Thanks for commenting.

I agree books have become too graphic in the sex department. I don't care if the characters are having sex. I just don't need to read every little detail.