Thursday, February 5, 2015

Book Review: Dark Engine vol #1


Book: Dark Engine volume #1: The Art of Destruction (issues #1-4) by Ryan Burton with illustrations by John Bivens and color by Kelly Fitzpatrick

Source: Borrowed from Publisher/NetGalley for an honest review

Publication: Available now

Description:

The world is cracked and in ruin. The air is full of dead men's ashes, fallen colossi smother the earth with their decayed husks, and infectious monsters roam freely.

In their desperation, a group of alchemists have created a killer named Sym from obscene magic, outfitting her with an engine that will allow her to travel back in time to stop whatever it was that made their world so.

But the alchemists don't realize that the engine is sentient, that their unstoppable killer is powered by the seed of their destruction. 


Rating: 1 star (Did Not Finish)

Review:

You shouldn't feel confused as soon as you start reading a book but that's exactly how I felt. And the confusion grew the more I read. By the time I was to the middle of the second issue, I was so done reading this.

This is a very weird story and it begins as if it's already in the middle of the story. I thought the artwork was a bit distracting by being so busy as well as being a little crude or rudimentary. I feel as if both the story and the artwork were competing with each other instead of working together to tell a cohesive story.

Overall, I couldn't find anything enjoyable about this. I guess it just wasn't for me.

No comments: