Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Should Captain America Get a Boyfriend?


In case you haven't heard, fans on social media are trying to get Marvel and Disney to give Captain America a boyfriend. But I feel like in their effort to do that, they have completely disregarded Sharon Carter, Steve Rogers' long-term girlfriend. However, Sharon is more than just Steve's girlfriend, she's a totally cool S.H.I.E.L.D. agent whose skills I dare say rival Black Widows.

However, the two movies she has been in, perhaps have not done her justice.


It seems that many of the fans who are leading this charge are focused on the movie verse where they believe Steve Rogers a.k.a. Captain America (played by Chris Evans) has more romantic chemistry with his best friend James "Bucky" Barnes (played by Sebastian Stan) than with Sharon Carter (played by Emily VanCamp). I've always seen Steve and Bucky's relationship as brotherly love, they are each the closest thing they have to family. They are also both still adjusting to being caught out of time. It does makes me wonder what happened to friendship? Because that's what I see with Steve and Bucky, they are the ultimate best friends.

I think what's disappointing to me the most, is that there is so much hate directed at Sharon. When she made her movie debut in 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier, she didn't receive too much hate from movie verse fans. But I believe that was mainly due to some fans did not realize that she was Sharon Carter and Cap's future girlfriend. Now fast-forward to 2016, you will find unfortunately so much hate thrown at the character. I don't know if it's because they simply don't like Sharon or the idea of her and Cap being together.

Now I ask you what's so wrong with developing a relationship between Captain America and Sharon Carter? I see some fans using the fact that Sharon is the niece of Peggy Carter as their main reason for their dislike. I will admit both the revelation and the start of the relationship could have been handled better. But I will put that down to most modern superhero movies doing a poor job of creating believable romantic relationships.

I think it's great to update and change characters and I'm certainly for more diversity but I feel like movie verse Cap and Sharon are just at the early stage of developing their relationship. I would love to see their relationship deepen into something like in the comics.

I wish more fans would put as much effort into promoting more LGBT characters as they do in trying to get Captain America a Boyfriend. I'm always promoting and talking about some of my favorite characters who just so happen to be LGBT and some of them are:

Ms. America/America Chavez (Marvel)

Kevin Keller (Archie Comics)

The Question/Renee Montoya (DC Comics)

Batwoman/Kate Kane (DC Comics)

Wiccan/Billy Kaplan (Marvel)

Hulkling/Teddy Altman (Marvel)

Prodigy/David Alleyne (Marvel)

Poison Ivy/Pamela Isley (DC Comics)

Daken (Marvel)

Midnighter/Lucas Trent (DC Comics)

Apollo/Andrew Pulaski (DC Comics)

Harley Quinn/Harleen Quinzel (DC Comics)

Marian from the Robyn Hood series (Zenescope)

There are a lot of amazing LGBT characters out there, certainly more than just the few I mentioned. For the most part, I think publishers and creators do a fairly good job with the characters. I just wish they did a better job of promoting them.

As for Captain America getting a boyfriend, at this moment I say no. Cap and Sharon are great together, the comics show a much more detailed take on their relationship. You see how much they love each other and how they complement each other very well. I guess all this fan push is making me a tad upset because the movies are just the tip of the iceberg into the world of comics. There is so much more to see than what's on the screen.

Side Note: To anyone wondering, yes I would be just as upset if fans wanted to break up Wiccan and Hulkling.

No comments: