Sunday, June 19, 2016

Essentials Only Challenge Update


I thought I would post an update on my Essentials Only Challenge. What have I learned so far from taking this challenge? Well, it's not as hard as the No Book Buying Challenge I tried a while back. To be honest my resolve with that challenge had crumbled at the very start. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mindset for that challenge. However, this time everything seems to be going rather smoothly. I'm finding it's not so hard to cut back despite seeing a lot of stuff I would like to buy.

As great as this challenge is going, the only problem I've had at the moment is when I go to the comic book store. For some reason my challenge goes right out of my mind as soon as I step into the store. I'm generally good at saying no to purchasing anything that's non-essential even when I go to the bookstore (yeah, I know I should not be going there) and have an arm full of books. I do put them back before I leave despite really wanting to buy them. Perhaps it has something to do with talking myself out of buying them. Regardless, I don't end up buying anything.

Yet, I can't seem to do the same thing at the comic book store. Yesterday, I bought an Ahsoka Tano action figure (which I had on hold from last week) and a hardcover Superman comic book from the 90s.

I think I'm going to let last week (meaning yesterday) slide because counting today I have been on this challenge for 29 days. I have not been buying anything else (aside from the two Funkos I bought last week from the bookstore) that have been non-essentials. When I go to the comic book store this week, I will try my best to stick to my list and to bypass the collectables, which will be difficult. For instance, I did see a Harley Quinn action figure on the counter yesterday. Which of course I wanted.

The lesson I learned so far is that it's pretty easy to not buy non-essential items that is unless you're a true shopaholic. The desire to buy stuff doesn't really go away, you just learn how to get your spending in check. 

No comments: