Saturday, October 22, 2016

Non-Canon Couples Week: Day #7: Janine Melnitz and Dr. Egon Spengler (Ghostbusters)

As the finale post for my first Non-Canon Couples Week, I went with Janine Melnitz and Dr. Egon Spengler. They were complete opposites with Janine as the Queen of Sarcasm while Egon was the reserved genius. Yet, there was this chemistry between them and I believed a relationship would have worked. In the first Ghostbusters movie, Janine put it out there that she liked him but perhaps Egon wasn't used to getting that sort of attention and didn't know how to express his feelings unless it was something to do with science. If you watch the movie, he didn't seem to mind her hitting on him nor her being around him. I'm pretty sure he would have told her if she was bothering him.


Which is why in the second movie, I didn't understand how Janine wound up with Louis Tully. I think perhaps she got tired of waiting on Egon and simply moved on. But for some reason...with Louis, he was so goofy and weird. I always found it interesting that in the second movie Janine's look had changed and her wardrobe and hair now matched her bold and outgoing personality. However, I got the feeling that she settled for Louis.


I like to think that Janine and Egon would have eventually gotten together in that much rumored third movie (that sadly never happened) which is why I continue to ship them.

This is not the end of my Non-Canon Couples Week, I enjoyed writing these posts and plan to write more in the future.

No comments: