Sunday, March 5, 2017

Rewatching Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

What is it about Lazy Sundays that makes me want to watch old TV shows. I decided to dig out my box set of the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series and start a rewatch. This box set includes 155 episodes (145 episodes for the first three seasons and an additional 10 episodes for Alien Rangers).


So far, I've only rewatched the first four episodes but I found this show is still fun to watch. The Power Rangers always felt like a cross between cheerleaders and superheroes because of how enthusiastic they were and the exaggerated gestures they used to make whenever they went up against Rita Repulsa's monsters.

Ever since this show premiered on Fox Kids in 1993, I was instantly a fan and I loved the characters: Jason (Red Ranger), Trini (Yellow Ranger), Zack (Black Ranger), Billy (Blue Ranger), Kimberly (Pink Ranger), Zordon, Alpha 5 and Ernie. Tommy (Green Ranger then later became the White Ranger) who joined the series a little later on turned out to be a good addition to the team once he stopped being Rita's evil minion. I can't believe how annoying Bulk and Skull were, they had to be the most incompetent bullies I've ever seen.

Every now and then I think it's fun to recapture a bit your childhood and I can't wait to rewatch the rest of the series. I'm looking forward to seeing all the wacky fun adventures and all the 90s fashions from overalls to all the plaid. I want to see when Tommy first appeared and sadly when Jason, Trini and Zack left with Rocky, Aisha and Adam eventually taking over their respective ranger colors. By the end of the series Kimberly left and was replaced by Katherine but unlike Aisha, Adam and Rocky, she didn't leave a lasting impression with me. Other than her name, I don't recall much about her and Aisha also left and was later replaced by Tanya.

I will admit that I had stopped watching the series after these first three seasons, Alien Rangers and the first movie. But with the series currently in it's 24th season I might be interested in continuing on with it especially since I believe Billy left by the fourth season and I would like to see his last episode. I would also like to see if there are any more seasons or cast that might capture my attention but for now I will be happy rewatching these episodes.

No comments: