Sunday, March 1, 2020

Book Club Picks for March: To All the Boys I've Loved Before, Green Arrow: Year One and Star Wars: Catalyst

It's the beginning of a new month and that means new book club picks. Even though I might be a little behind, my review for February's book club picks will be up this week. As for this month, I decided to go with To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han for The Book Girl's Book Club. I've seen the first two movies and absolutely loved them, however, I've never read the book. So I thought the first book in the series would be a good pick.

For the Comic Book Club I went with Green Arrow: Year One by Andy Diggle and Jock. I always found it fascinating that Oliver Queen is someone who cares about social issues, helping people and wanting to make the world a better place. I picked this book because it should be interesting to read this take on Oliver's origin story.

And for the Star Wars Book Club I picked Star Wars: Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel by James Luceno. I love Rogue One that is an amazing movie, it's one of my utmost favorites. I've wanted to read the prequel for awhile, so I figured we could read it for book club.

As always, if there's a book you think we should read for book club let me know. 


The Book Girl's Book Club Pick:


Book: To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before book #1) by Jenny Han

Description:

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed.

But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh.

As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.




Comic Book Club Pick:


Book: Green Arrow: Year One by Andy Diggle with illustrations by Jock

Description:

Oliver Queen is a frivolous playboy with little care for anyone or anything — apparently even himself. But when he's double-crossed and marooned on a jungle island, he finds that he does care about something: justice!





Star Wars Book Club Pick:


Book: Star Wars: Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel by James Luceno

Description:

Lauded Star Wars author James Luceno returns to pen an intense tale of ambition and betrayal that sets the stage for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

War is tearing the galaxy apart. For years the Republic and the Separatists have battled across the stars, each building more and more deadly technology in an attempt to win the war. As a member of Chancellor Palpatine’s top secret Death Star project, Orson Krennic is determined to develop a superweapon before the Republic’s enemies can. And an old friend of Krennic’s, the brilliant scientist Galen Erso, could be the key.

Galen’s energy-focused research has captured the attention of both Krennic and his foes, making the scientist a crucial pawn in the galactic conflict. But after Krennic rescues Galen, his wife, Lyra, and their young daughter, Jyn, from Separatist kidnappers, the Erso family is deeply in Krennic’s debt. Krennic then offers Galen an extraordinary opportunity: to continue his scientific studies with every resource put utterly at his disposal. While Galen and Lyra believe that his energy research will be used purely in altruistic ways, Krennic has other plans that will finally make the Death Star a reality. Trapped in their benefactor’s tightening grasp, the Ersos must untangle Krennic’s web of deception to save themselves and the galaxy itself.

No comments: