Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Who should have been the Jedi in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy: Finn or Rey?

There seems to be this debate among Star Wars fans that in the Disney Sequel Trilogy, Finn should have been the Jedi instead of Rey Palpatine. I've seen where many seem to think Rey's story was a rehash of Luke Skywalker's story which I can agree with. And that Finn being a former First Order Stormtrooper turned Rebel was a more unique story which I also agree with.

As for me, I feel like there was room in the trilogy for both Finn and Rey to have been Jedi. I never understood why there was just one, it didn't have to be the same as in the original trilogy. After the death of Obi-Wan and Yoda, Luke was the last Jedi (no I'm not dismissing Leia but that's a discussion for another post) and he had a huge responsibility to stop Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine while the Rebellion itself fought the Empire.

With Rey being the only Jedi, it did feel like a retelling of Luke's story. The Sequel Trilogy should have had more than one Jedi. It would have added a different dynamic to the story and showed how much things have changed over the odd 30 years since Luke was the only Jedi. Although, Ben Solo killed Luke's Jedi students and burned down Luke's Jedi temple, I figured over the 30 years there should have been more of Luke's Jedi out there in the galaxy. It made no sense for Rey to have been the only Jedi in this sequel trilogy but I guess that's the story the sequels were going with.

(Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker)

No comments: