Thursday, July 6, 2023

Buried Alive (9-1-1, Bones and The Rookie)

A fan created this really amazing gif set of characters Edmundo "Eddie" Diaz and Evan "Buck" Buckley from 9-1-1, Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan and Seeley Booth from Bones and Lucy Chen and Timothy "Tim" Bradford from The Rookie. It highlights the classic romantic trope of a character buried alive and the love interest (or potential love interest) digging by hand trying to get to them.

Out of the three shows, I've only watched 9-1-1 (completely) and The Rookie (partially, I'm still a few seasons behind) but I do have the Bones complete series sitting on my shelf. And for a while now I have been planning to watch it but so far I haven't. However, over the years I've gleaned enough information that I have a general understanding of the show and characters. Anyway, I think the similarities or parallels between these scenes and the characters are interesting. Because Buck, Booth and Tim were so desperate to get to their partners that they were digging by hand. And not to mention how scared Eddie, Bones and Lucy felt being buried alive and desperately wanting to get out. Which made the relief after everyone was safe and reunited so palpable (albeit a little later for Buck and Eddie).

I also found it interesting that unlike Tim and Booth, Buck wasn't able to free Eddie by digging for him since Eddie was trapped 40 feet underground. However, Eddie did find a way to save himself and was eventually reunited with Buck (and the other firefighters). So far, two out of the three couples are canon. I'm still hoping for that to happen for Buck and Eddie because why use a classic romantic trope if not to eventually make them canon.

Episodes:

- 9-1-1 season 3 episode 15: Eddie Begins
- Bones season 2 episode 9: Aliens in a Spaceship
- The Rookie season 2 episode 11: Day of Death

(gif source: Olya/Lily (ilianitta))

No comments: