Thursday, August 13, 2015

Superhero Movie Fatigue, I think I have It



I can't believe that I'm saying this but I'm starting to get bored with Superhero movies (and to some extent TV shows). I love watching the movies and shows and I've always had but lately I'm starting to feel burned out with them. And with even more expected to be out in theaters (and more TV shows) in the approaching years it's hard to think that I may have lost my interest in seeing them. As a huge comic book/superhero fan it seems a little disheartening.

I'm not sure when this started to happen but I believe I have developed some form of Superhero Fatigue. Perhaps my fatigue is from there being too many movies and TV shows. In the past, there were just a few to get excited about but now they seem to be almost massed produced. This is leaving me feeling a little disappointed with the industry.

I didn't even go see Ant-Man or Fantastic Four which is surprising since I actually like those characters. But for some reason I could not muster up any enthusiasm to go see them. My desire to see Deadpool, Batman vs. Superman, and Suicide Squad is close to zero. However, I do have interest in seeing Captain America: Civil War (out next year) and Thor: Ragnarok (out in 2017).

But for TV series, I have no interest in seeing the Jessica Jones series that will be on Netflix. I was bored trying to watch the Daredevil Netflix TV series (and I really like Daredevil, maybe I'll give it a second chance with a rewatch). Gotham was a completely boring mess and I stopped watching that early on and Constantine wasn't any better. Agents of S.H.E.L.D. was another show I stopped watching.

Although, I'm going to be watching Supergirl in the Fall, I'm not super excited about the show especially after seeing that less than stellar trailer that was released earlier this summer. But as I wrote in another post, I am going to give it a chance and watch it with an open mind. However, I'm a little indifferent about Legends of Tomorrow. I don't know if I'll tune in or not but a show I am interested in seeing is the Vixen animated series.

Now my Superhero Fatigue has not extended to my comics, I still enjoy reading them. Maybe I have selective fatigue because I enjoy watching Teen Titans Go!Agent Carter, Agents of S.M.A.S.H. animated series, Avengers Assemble animated series, and against my early hesitance to watch both iZombie and The Flash they both turned out to be rather enjoyable and even more so after having to endure Arrow's absolutely awful third season. At least the best parts to me of Arrow's third season have been Laurel Lance finally becoming the Black Canary.

Are there too many Superhero Movies and TV shows or am I just burned out? Who knows, maybe by the time some of these movies and TV shows are out my interest and excitement for them will have returned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one. I didn't see FF or Ant-Man.