Friday, September 2, 2016

Lois Lane Friday: In Praise of the Promotion of Lois Lane for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Although it's been several months since the theatre and DVD/Blu-ray release of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. I thought it would be great to write about the promotion Lois Lane received for the movie.

But first I want to discuss how the character was promoted for Man of Steel. I remember when that movie was being promoted three years ago, there were numerous posters that were made. However, I found it strange that Lois Lane didn't get one poster. My feelings aside for that movie, Lois Lane was an important character in the film yet DC Comics and Warner Bros. didn't even bother to get a poster made for her. Last year, I wrote a Lois Lane Friday post where I spoke of the Lack of Official Merchandise for her, in which I also mentioned this movie.

Now when it came time to promote Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, it was a different story. I like to think that the executives over in the Warner Bros. promotion department realized their error or at least heard the complaints from fans because Lois Lane actually got a poster for the film.


But that's not all, Lois along with the other characters from the movie were each featured on a limited edition 20 ounce can of Dr. Pepper. The promotion went one step further because each of the five cans included a code that gave you access to a free chapter to a Batman v Superman prequel comic with Lois Lane being chapter two. 
 

I can't help praising how well the promotion was for Batman v Superman in regards to Lois Lane but as wonderful as all that was, I do have an issue with merchandising. There were special Batman v Superman Barbie dolls that were created with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman each receiving one. However for some reason Lois did not get one. She also didn't get a Batman v Superman Funko, an action figure, T-shirts and other apparel and more for the movie, yet the other characters did. Surprisingly, she did get a second LEGO figure that's featured in the LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes: Heroes of Justice: Sky High Battle set.



I do hope as more Superman/Justice League films are rolled out, promotion for Lois will continue. If I had to rate Warner Bros. and DC Comics in regards to Lois Lane for Batman v Superman, I would give them an A for Promotion but Merchandising gets a D- with Lois only getting a Dr. Pepper can and a second LEGO figure. While the movie promotion for Lois has improved, the merchandise is still very much lacking. In the future, this issue really needs to be fixed.

No comments: